Sunday, November 29, 2009

Pumpkin Pie Cake

And now, for my inaugural baking post on this here blog, I give you....

Pumpkin Pie Cake!

This is a recipe that I have made many times over the years. I'm not even quite sure where my mom and I first found it, but since then it has been a hit at nearly every holiday function I have brought it to, including this year's Thanksgiving at my friend Theresa's parent's place. They were kind enough to invite me to join them! Anyway, it's a nice differentiation on the traditional pumpkin pie.

This is a pretty rich dessert, but very delicious all the same. I do suggest going by the regular recipe and not using the pumpkin pie mix. It turned out fine but I think it wasn't quite as good as usual. Unfortunately, thanks to the crazy pumpkin shortage of this year, that's all I had!


Pumpkin Pie Cake by freshfromthe.com

A cross between a pie and a cake – if you want a new take on pumpkin pie, give this a try!

Ingredients:
    Bottom:
  • 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
  • 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg*
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger*
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves*
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon*
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • Top:
  • 1 15.25 ounce box yellow cake mix
  • 1 cup walnuts or pecans (optional, I never use)
  • 3/4 cup (1 ½ sticks) butter, melted
*Or substitute 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 9x13" pan. Completely combine the bottom set of ingredients and pour into the prepared pan.
  2. Sprinkle with the cake mix. Sprinkle with nuts (optional... I never use them personally). Drizzle with melted butter.
  3. Bake for 50 minutes.
  4. Cool and cut into squares, and top with whipped cream if you so desire.
In this case, I only had pumpkin pie mix, so I nixed the sugar, spices and salt from my ingredients. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease 9x13" pan. Completely combine the first set ("Bottom") ingredients.

Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with the cake mix. Sprinkle with nuts (optional... I didn't use them here). Drizzle with melted butter.

Bake for 50 minutes.

Cool and cut into squares. Top with whipped cream if you like. And, of course, enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Let's hope that your blog will inspire me to tackle the fickle beast that is BAKING. :) Welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your blog! I will definitely follow it and do my best to not ruin your recipes!

    Livvie

    ReplyDelete