Monday, December 7, 2009

Soft Pumpkin Cookies


Soft Pumpkin Cookies by freshfromthe.com

As noted in my previous post, I made up a bunch of cookies yesterday for the holiday season. These are not the first I made out of the bunch, but a friend of mine said she wanted the recipe so I'm writing this one up first!

So, I have a love affair with pumpkin. I already posted about my pumpkin pie cake, for example. These particular cookies I found last year, I don't even remember from where anymore, and straight away fell in love. They are very, very soft, which I adore in a cookie, and the glaze on top makes them have that little extra something. Also, they're easy. Very easy.


Soft Pumpkin Cookies by freshfromthe.com

Super soft cookies with a delicious pumpkin flavor, sure to please everyone around the holidays!

Ingredients:
    For the Cookies:
  • 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmegspan>
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips or nuts (optional)
  • For the Glaze:
  • 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons milk
  • 1 Tablespoon melted butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large bowl until well blended. Beat in pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets.
  3. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
  4. For the glaze: Combine the powdered sugar, milk, butter and vanilla in a small bowl until smooth. Once the cookies are completely cool, drizzle it over them.
It's not always necessary to pre-mix up flour mixtures as all directions will tell you to do, but I did this time.

The sugar and the butter all mixed up. It doesn't need to be completely smooth, just so long as there aren't chunks of butter. 

After all of the ingredients have been added. It's quite sticky, so don't go adding more flour thinking it's not right.

How did I get such lovely little balls when the dough is so sticky, you ask? I have an awesome cookie scoop from Pampered Chef! Seriously, it makes life much easier.

Fresh from the oven!

And, finally...

Soft Pumpkin Cookies by freshfromthe.com
Yum! I recommend using parchment paper when you glaze, as you can see I did here. It makes clean up way easy and the cookies do not stick to it.

And there you have it! This time around I didn't add chocolate chips or nuts, but I have used chocolate chips in the past, and while you may be thinking to yourself, "pumpkin and chocolate?!" trust me, they work together very well. Also, you may have some glaze left over. This time around I only made half the glaze and didn't have enough for all of the cookies, but last time I made all of it and had too much! Maybe 3/4 the amount is in order? Next time.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Jen! I'm trying the recipe when I go home for Xmas break.

    ReplyDelete